Friday, May 20, 2016

Make a wrench

What do you do when you are out in the field and you need a tool that you do not have?  Today I found myself in that situation. I had strainer inside a hydraulic tank that I couldn't get loose. I didn't have the right size wrench to take it off. A pipe wrench wouldn't fit. So I found a piece of scrap iron and cut out of 55 mm wrench.  It only took a few minutes to make. I could've fought with that strainer half a day without the correct tool.

I will save this wrench for future use but I will probably clean up some of the rough edges before I throw it in my toolbox. It wouldn't work if it was a high torque application, but I didn't need a lot of force I just needed more reach.


I have a lot of tools in my toolbox that I have made over the years. I can imagine that someday my son will inherit my toolbox and wonder what the heck I was doing. That's much the same way as I look at my grandfather's toolbox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment