Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Share your knowledge

Take the time to teach somebody something new today. I went out on a service call today. I met a young man who seemed very interested to learn about air-conditioning service. He was very interested in the air-conditioner that I was working on. He had a lot of questions about pressures and what was normal.

When I noticed that he had bought a set of gauges and a vacuum pump and was seeking knowledge to do the job, I took the time to answer his questions and went little beyond to give him some more information to learn. I also left him with my phone number so he could call me with questions after he experimented a little. I named a couple of professional organizations where he could go online for training also.

I think it's very important to teach the people who are going to someday replace us. Tech school is great, but I don't feel like it's the end of the line for learning or even necessary for everyone. Even after tech school a lot of graduates still need mentoring from us older techs.

Chances are good that you learned what you know from the experience of someone else. So why not pass it onto somebody younger with the drive to go on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment